Thursday, October 19, 2017

ORID 3

How to build an organization’s capacity for learning, according to Garvin, can be accomplished through executives shifting their focus from content to process.  “Leaders and manager must:
  1. Create opportunities for learning by designing settings and events that prompt the necessary activities
  2. Cultivate the proper tone, fostering desirable norms, behaviors and rules of engagement
  3. Lead the process of discussion, framing the debate, posing questions, listening attentively and providing feedback (Garvin pg. 190).”
When a manager offers opportunities for employees to learn, it not only opens up a plethora of knowledge for them but also allows them to grow in their roles at the organization.  And when they provide the time for the employees to do this outside their daily workload, all the better.

Interestingly, in this week’s chapter, I learned about the two orientations employees tend to display.  This knowledge has helped me to understand why my assistant and I sometimes disagree.

MY ASSISTANT:  “focuses primarily on performance to gain favorable evaluations from supervisors and perform well to peers (Garvin pg. 192).”  She does not like risk and avoids learning opportunities.

ME:  “focuses primarily on learning - to increase competence and skills and develop increased mastery. Over time gain confidence and competence and improved results (Garvin pg. 192).”  I work smart to perform better.

Problem?  My assistant and I have differences of opinions on how work should get done.  Some might think this is insubordination on her part but I look at it as learning opportunities for both of us.

O R I D

Objective Questions:

What is the problem?
My assistant is very opinionated and difficult to manage at times due to her preconceived perceptions of what a work environment should be.  She came from a union environment (9-5 do as I want as long as I get my job done attitude).  I mean no disrespect to unions here.

What behaviors do I observe?
My assistant pushes back when extra work is given to her or if she is asked to work (or expected) to work beyond 9-5.  This was clearly expressed in her interview and written on her job description.  Providing me oxygen in times of need is the one thing that we keep coming back to as an issue with her performance.

Reflective Questions:

How do I feel during these exchanges?
At first I feel shock that anyone would tell their boss “no.” Then I move to anger and then I listen.  I keep my feelings to myself for the most part.  She knows she is a darn good worker (she is) and pushes back because she does not want to feel she is being taken advantage of.  On the other hand, I feel she is taking advantage of me by not being willing to take on more responsibility and/or work extra hours (paid) when needed.  She eventually gives in but it is not without hard work on my part.

What is hardest?
The hardest part for me is getting her to learn more skills, getting her to be more intuitive, and backing me up when needed.  She is not used to being in a support position and wants to just do her job and go home.  I am determined to make this work and have her grow.
Interpretive Questions:
What have I learned about me in the process?
I am a softy, a pushover but also tough as nails when it comes to details and hard work because that is my work ethic.  I expect the same from those who work for me. However, I have also learned to listen and become a better listener.  Some of what my assistant says during our exchanges is valuable feedback to me as her supervisor.

What things have I done to extinguish undesirable behaviors?
Not enough but still working on this. I immediately speak with my assistant when issues arise so we can talk about them, allowing me to speak to speak my position on things and explain why the request is important.  
Decisional Questions:
What will I do the same in the future?  What will I do differently?
I will continue to have open and frank conversations with my asssitant and will continue to figure out better ways to manage the behaviors while getting my needs met.

What skills do I want to develop?
I am not sure what skills I need to develop but attending a leadership workshop where I can role play would be beneficial to me.

2 comments:

  1. It does not surprise me you are experiencing a bit of tension given your preference for learning (lifelong learning is a key), and your direct report who wants to do a job and go home. Further, she seems to view work demands or feedback that is outside of what she expects as a judgment, rather than as process oriented feedback to improve. Sounds like a fixed mindset (see Carol Dweck).

    Your challenge is to understand her resistance or refusal to do things and get her to act or behave in ways that add value to the organization (as I see it).


    So, two more books to read when you get around to it is: Marilee Adams, Change Your Questions, Change Your Life.

    The next is, Stone and Heen, Thanks for the Feedback.

    In the end, what you say in these meetings with your employee regarding taking on additional responsibility or working additional hours to meet deadlines, is important particularly since they are part of the job requirements. Maybe she's never experienced a boss that is actually interested in her development and thus views this activity as suspicious?

    One thing you may want to explore with her is what her ambitions are, and whether she wants to learn and grow. In my experience, some people are content to do their job (within narrow task guidelines), and that's it. Shockingly, growth and professional development are not on their radar screen. Work is work.



    ReplyDelete
  2. She is truly a work is work person but we have been making strides...slowly. Thanks for your suggestions. I will look into those books you recommended.

    ReplyDelete