Sunday, February 12, 2017

How Flexible is My Leadership Style

I believe my leadership style has grown exponentially over the years to what it is today.  I began my career as somewhat of a rigid direct leader and now consider myself to be a transformational leader. I enjoy being a transformational leader, helping people move beyond their own self-interests and towards the good of the organization.  I also enjoy mentoring and offering professional development opportunities for my staff and watching them grow.  One of the attributes of a transformational leader is charisma.  I consider myself to be somewhat charismatic as I am optimistic, positive, innovative, have a high EQ, lead by example and can articulate the college's vision to the team.

In addition, I see myself as having a mid-level of flexibility as it depends on the situation to determine my level of flexibility.  I try to be as flexible as I can with my staff as I know it would have a great impact on my leadership effectiveness but more importantly, their trust level with me, knowing I can be supportive as well.  I try to assign and reassign job tasks among the group so there is more flexibility in job tasks and ultimate job satisfaction.  I delegate and tend to empower my staff by allowing them to participate during times when their input is very valuable - when it touches upon their work.

My style changes depending on the situation but for the most part, I practice a supportive leadership style because we work in a stressful and ever-changing environment.  I try to be the balance for my staff during these stressful times and chip in when needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment