Sunday, June 18, 2017

Body Language



What does body language say about you?  A lot!  According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, body language is "the gestures, movements, and mannerisms by which a person or animal communicates with others.

I have two examples of body language that I would like to share:

1.  Recently, while in a search committee meeting that I was chairing for the hiring of a new position in my office, I sat across the table from the director of Human Resources.  While I pride myself in running efficient and all-inclusive meetings, the director of Human Resources spent the entire meeting looking at me with this look of disdain.  It was rude and interrupted my flow but I forged ahead and completed the tasks that were on the agenda.  However, she distracted me during the meeting and I have now learned that I will not sit across the table from her in meetings.

2.  A second example I would like to share is that I host team meetings every week with our digital communications team.  One of the individuals is from India and I try to appreciate his culture but his lack of appreciating our culture comes out sometimes.  When he speaks to make a point, he bombards the conversation for too long.  I try to gently open up opportunities for others to speak but he is a master of the "pause" and only takes a slight breath between sentences.  However, I have learned to find a way to open up the doors of conversation by timing his pauses since my body language is not read properly by him.  It is my intent through body language that I want him to slow down and listen to what others have to say.  This may be a skill that he needs to master.

Here are some articles on body language for you to read:


References:




No comments:

Post a Comment