Sunday, August 13, 2017

Implementation of New Initiative

When Molloy College embarked on creating a new Strategic Plan for the College, the president included me in the research, design, planning and implementation phases of this important initiative for the College.  He also included the Vice President for Planning, Research and Institutional Effectiveness, who is responsible for the Strategic Planning process.

However, there was confusion between my role and that of the Vice President for Planning, Research and Institutional Effectiveness.  The president had failed to provide clarity to both of us on what our roles were during this process.  It was my sense at the time that the president wanted me to play a part in it because he wanted me to be his eyes and ears during the entire project.  It led, eventually, to my becoming the chief communications officer for the College, so I now understand what my role had been.

The strategic outline, including outcomes, goals, objectives, assessment measures, initiatives and priorities were eventually and organically communicated throughout the organization.  The communication strategy was not only top down but also collaborative across disciplines and job functions.  It is still a work in progress while several teams of people develop plans for the priority initiatives from the strategic plan.

As part of my new role which was created during this strategic planning process, I am now able to take one of the key initiatives, improve internal communications, to a level that meets the needs of the internal stakeholders, Molloy College's employees.  My team and I have created an Intranet for the College and are about to enter phase II.  The coursework provided during this time in my career has been very instrumental in my ability to effectively draft implementation and assessment plans to ensure we are following the goals and objectives of the internal communications plan.  The use of a project management tool, Smartsheet, sample and link below, will help me gauge appropriate delivery timelines and communications strategies.


https://www.smartsheet.com/blog/office-timeline-and-smartsheet-3-steps-quickly-create-your-visual-project-plan

No comments:

Post a Comment