Sunday, April 30, 2017

Reflection Blog Post

I am happy to say that working with the teams I was assigned during this course have been filled with learning experiences.

The Conflict Style team matched me with an individual who shared my conflict style and we breezed through our survival exercise by listening, accommodating and collaborating.

Group projects can be a nightmare; conflicting schedules, slackers, different ideas. People end up hating each other and the closer the deadline, the more stressed out everyone becomes. Does anyone actually enjoy working in groups with a bunch of busy, moody college students?  Before you go crying to your professor, check out these 5 tips on how to survive those dreaded group assignments.

The Final Group project team was a bit more challenging.  One of our team members went into the hospital and was quite sick but somehow managed to pre-load our presentation to start us off before he got sick.  I then came into the picture and chose the leadership challenge and attempted to communicate with the third teammate.  He was quite aloof but at the 11th hour, literally, he pulled through. However it took a lot of prodding and coaching on my part to make it happen.  I sent him many files to do research on the topic and he was unable to comprehend or report on the theme again, until the 11th hour but by then it was too little, too late. He most certainly "avoided" the project.

Playing in the leadership role throughout the course had become a priority. I am happy to step up to be a leader but also happy to take a back seat and let someone else lead.  During this last group exercise I needed to take the leadership role because the project would not have been completed had I not stepped up to the plate.

One thing I have learned about group projects is that some things do not change; there is usually a natural leader and usually individuals who take a lesser role for whatever reason.  Another area of knowledge that I have acquired during group project exercises as a result of this course is to listen, learn and coach the other individuals rather than complain about their lack of input.  I have gained a more positive tone in my approach as a result.

Anchor charts for classroom management-group work

No comments:

Post a Comment