Sunday, July 2, 2017

The Three Most Important Characteristics/Qualities of a Globally Minded and Culturally Competent Leader in the 21st Century
  1. Charisma
  2. Other-Centered Focus (includes Diversity of thought and Inclusion and Good Listening Skills)
  3. Day 1 Forever Approach
It is difficult for me to choose three characteristics of a globally minded and culturally competent leader in the 21st Century.  However, once I combined a few into one skill it became apparent to me that there are many facets to each quality.
  1. Charisma:  In order to be followed, one must lead.  Without likeability and the trust factor (charisma), leaders of today will not make it past many access points in the global world of today.  
  2. Other-Centered Focus:  It's one thing to "Win Friends and Influence People" in our domestic economy but clearly another to do the same with cultures quite different than ours.  It is extremely important for today's leaders to become aware of the culture and backgrounds of each corporation's and country's people.  This will greatly impact on the success of any attempted outcome.
  3. Day 1 Forever Approach:  Like Jeff Bezos from Amazon.com, Inc., if you put your customer's needs first, you will stay ahead of the curve, which is extremely important in today's e-commerce industries and digital world.  People are vying for the same consumers.  One must stay ahead of the curve, not simply stay in line with it, in order to survive.  Please click on the photo, below, to hear all about Day 1 Forever and the following link to see just how successful Jeff Bezos really is:  Jeff Bezos Day 1 Forever

As for me, I emerged as a leader at the young age of 12; captain of twirling team and drum majorette.  To that followed captain of Blue and Gold sports night in high school, ski club moderator, mother, grandmother, staff president, and now Chief of Staff.  There are a lot of successes in between but these are the most memorable and rewarding to date.

I have to say my best characteristic is my compassion coupled with my sincerity and honesty.  My least favorite characteristic is my sensitivity, which sometimes gets the best of me.  I have learned through the years to manage my reactions to things and not take them personally but every once in a while, when faced with adversity, I have to remind myself to walk away and not react, which is always the best approach.  I am honored and blessed to have learned many life lessons along the way but one thing I will never change is my willingness to help others - always.  I always strive to be a mentor and build people up rather than putting them down.

References

https://www.recode.net/2017/4/12/15274220/jeff-bezos-amazon-shareholders-letter-day-2-disagree-and-commit


No comments:

Post a Comment